Volume 25, Issue 12 (Feb 2018)                   JSSU 2018, 25(12): 984-993 | Back to browse issues page

XML Persian Abstract Print


Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Fallahzadeh H, Javanrashid A, Esmaily H, Kiani O, mirzaei M. Reference value for body mass index in adult living in Yazd city using the "Generalized Additive Models for Location, Scale and Shape . JSSU. 2018; 25 (12) :984-993
URL: http://jssu.ssu.ac.ir/article-1-4418-en.html
Abstract:   (181 Views)
Introduction: The reference values for anthropometrics obtained from a specific population may not be appropriate for use in other populations. This study aimed to provide the reference values for body mass index (BMI) in a large Iranian population aged 20-69 years old living in Yazd City, Iran.
Methods: In this study, anthropometrics and related variables of 9422  residents of Yazd were analyzed. Body mass index (BMI) for the 5th, 85th, 90th, and 95th percentiles according to gender and age were calculated. The generalised additive models for location, scale and shape (GAMLSS) was fitted to the data. Akaike's Information Criteria (AIC) was used to study the occasion of the model. The R software was used to analyze the data.
Results: Overweight levels for healthy men and women varied from 25.2 to 28.4 and 25.6 to 27.9, respectively. The levels of obesity varied from 27.8 to 30.3 in men and from 28.2 to 32.3 in women. According to the suggested cut offs, the prevalence of obesity was 27.9% , the prevalence of overweight was 17.1% and the overall prevalence of obesity and overweight was 45% in the reference population.
Conclusion: The findings of this study showed that the need for more attention to obesity and overweight and lifestyle improvements in weight loss, especially in females, are completely felt and the causes of this phenomenon and its harmful effects on the health of the community should be more prominent in the policy makers of the health sector
Full-Text [PDF 1170 kb]   (91 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Original article | Subject: other
Received: 2017/12/14 | Accepted: 2018/02/10 | Published: 2018/04/25

Add your comments about this article : Your username or Email:
Write the security code in the box

Send email to the article author


© 2015 All Rights Reserved | SSU_Journals

Designed & Developed by : Yektaweb